What is a Burn?
The definition of a Burn is “A lesion of the tissues”.
Burn can be obvious or not that obvious because our pets have fur which can cover the lesion.
How could a pet be burned?
o Pool acid, Swimming pool chloride tablets
o Sulfuric acid
o Battery Acid
o Windshield Washer Fluid
o Laundry Detergent
o Oven Cleaners
o Insect Bait Traps
o Mold and Mildew Remover
o Carpet Cleaner
o Air Fresheners
o Household Foggers
o Insect Repellents
o Weed Killers
o Rodent Controllers
Symptoms may not immediately show up but may take a couple of hours before in can be noticed. The pet may show signs of excessive swallowing, drooling, or no interest in eating. It may consistently paw at its mouth and may result to a swollen tongue.
· Electric Shock or electric injuries
o Can damage the nerve cells and extreme heat can even pass though the tissues of the body. The main source of electrical injuries for pets is the biting of electrical cords at home. The voltages of household currents are enough to bring shock into the pets. In severe cases, the pet may die as a result of substantial internal damage.
Electrical burns may usually appear around the tongue, mouth, or the lips. Common symptoms of electric injuries include mouth burns, difficulty in breathing, seizures, and death due to cardiac arrest.
· Thermal Heat
o Heating blankets or pads
What you need to know if your pet get’s burned.
· Cooling the area with copious amounts of cold water
· Flushing area
· Transporting to Veterinarian
If you want to learn more about Burns and what to do if your pet is burned please register now for the Pet Saver Class. Private, In-Home Classes now in your very own neighborhood! Get together all your neighbors who own pets and learn Pet CPR and First Aid. Isn’t 4 hours worth your pet’s life?
www.kimspetcpr.blogspot.com . Thank you for being a responsible pet owner!
Thank you for being a Responsible Pet Business and Owner!